Frequently Asked questions

Q. What documents do I need?

A. In order to drive a scooter in Macau you need a valid passport (or Macau / Hong Kong / China ID card) and a valid driving licence as described below.

Q. What kind of licence do I need?

A. We recommend a motorbike licence. Although standard car licences from many countries do cover scooters below 50cc, Macau police often do not consider such licence to be sufficient for driving a scooter in Macau. That's why we advise that your licence actually shows or clearly mentions moped / scooter or motorbike eligilibity. We can still hire a scooter to you if you have a standard car licence but if you are stopped by the police it will be up to you to explain that you are allowed to drive a scooter!

Q. My licence is from country "x", is it accepted in Macau?

Yes. Macau is a signatory to the 1949 Geneva convention and therefore licences from almost all countries are accepted. Exceptions: you can't use a licence from Kenya, Mongolia, Nigeria, Somalia or Uruguay,as these countries did not sign the 1949 Geneva convention. Licences from all other countries, including USA, EU, Australia, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong are fine.

Q. Do I need International Driving Permit together with my licence?

If your licence is from the following countries you don't need the international driving permit, the licence itself is sufficient:
Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Mozambique, Netherlands, New Zealand, Phillipines, Portugal, Qatar, Sao Tome & Principe, South Africa, Spain, UK, USA.
If your licence is from another country than one of the above, you need an International Driving Permit issued by your local drivers licensing authority or a motoring club.

Q.What if I am a Macau resident / have been staying in Macau for a while?

If you are a Macau resident or have been in Macau for over 14 days prior to your scooter rental commencing - and your licence is NOT a Macau one - you need an authorisation document from the Macau Transport Police. The procedure takes only 1 minute and is free - you need to go in person to the Transport Police offices (Avenida Sidonio Pais) and present your passport and foreign driving licence to obtain it. This requirement does not apply to short time visitors who stay in Macau less than 14 days.

Q. What else do I need to know?

A. You must be 18 years or over and be able to provide us with a valid passport (or ID card) and a credit card or cash deposit. While riding your rental scooter you should carry your passport and licence.

Q. Is driving a scooter in Macau safe?

Driving a scooter in Macau is safe and much less chaotic than in many other Asian cities - roads are of good quality and well signed and local drivers generally do respect traffic regulations unlike drivers in other places in Asia. Traffic can be heavy in some areas during the "rush hour" but areas outside the centre and all Macau during weekends is much less busy. There are plenty of scooters in Macau and they are the number one mode of transport for the local population. Macau is really small and you can't really get lost on a scooter - especially that landmarks such as Grand Lisboa are visible from most places in the city. In Macau traffic drives on the left side of the road like in England, Australia, Japan or Hong Kong, contrary to USA / Europe / China.

Q. What is your fuel policy?

A full tank of fuel is provided on rental, and must be refilled at renter's expense upon return. Otherwise we will charge
for refilling at current fuel prices plus a refuelling service charge of HKD $50.

Q.Do you provide rental insurance with your scooters?

A. All our bikes come with third party insurance included in the rental rate and are insured against third party claims to MOP $750,000. There is a MOP $3000 excess (maximum renter's liability) on this policy. However, as standard you are NOT covered for any damages to the scooter itself or hired equipment - we offer an optional comprehensive insurance with HKD $1,000 excess at HKD $55 per day. If you don't take this insurance you may need to pay for damages to the scooter accured during the rental.

Q. What payment methods do you accept?

A. Rental fee must be paid by cash on collection of your scooter. Rental deposit can be secured against a credit card or paid cash on collection of scooter. We accept Hong Kong Dollars, Macau Patacas, US Dollars, Euros, British Pounds, Australian Dollars, Chinese Renmibi and other major currencies.

Q. Do I need a credit card in my name to hire a scooter?

A. No, we don't require that you have a credit card, but you will need to pay a refundable cash deposit on collection of the scooter. The deposit is HKD $1,000.

Q. Is my credit card secure?

A. Our booking system uses the latest data encryption software and is operated by Netfirms Inc. Your card details cannot be seen by our staff or any 3rd party.

Q. Do I have to pay anything above the rates listed on your site?

A. No, unlike many other rental companies worldwide we would rather you see the complete rental rate before you book. After completing your booking you will not be charged for anything else unless you wish to add anything to your original booking.

Q. Can I leave my travel luggage with you?

A. No problem.

Q.What happens if my rental bike breaks down?

A. We take pride in the preparation of our rental scooters and every effort is made to make sure your rental bike is in perfect and safe working order. Our fleet is maintained by official workshops and each scooter is then further checked before the beginning of each rental. In the unlikely event that your bike should break down you have 24 hour breakdown recovery provided free of charge. Please note however that depending on availability we may not be able to replace your scooter to another one, in which case we may be able to offer you a partial refund.

Q. What happens if I go over the allowed mileage.

A. We do not have a limitation on the distance you cover, unlimited mileage is included in our rental rates.

Q. Can I ride with a pillion passenger on the rental scooter?

A. Yes at no extra cost

Q. What should I wear?

A. A crash helmet is mandatory for riding motorcycles in Macau, both for the driver and passenger. Clothing is at your discretion but we advise that you to wear a long sleeve shirt or jacket and strong shoes. If you decide to wear a T-shirt, we advise you to put sunscreen on your hands as it is quite easy to get burned under very strong Macau sun.

Q. Where can I park the bike?

A. Motorbike parking is free in Macau in most places and there are also a few paid parking lots, which are clearly marked. As a rule of thumb you can park anywhere where you see many scooters parked. Parking on sidewalks and on the yellow line is prohibited. Theft of motorbikes and cars in Macau is almost non-existent as Macau is very small and they can't be taken out of the territory, so it is safe to park the bike overnight in most areas!

If you have a question you would like answered, please send it to info@macauscooters.com